History of the Knights and Council #601
Since then the Knights of Columbus has over 10,000 Councils around the globe and has become the strong right arm of the Cathoic Church providing support to numerous charitable causes and Catholic education.
On September 19th, 1900, Council 534 in Topeka, KS. became the first K of C Council west of the Mississippi River. On July 21, 1901, Salina was chosen to become the 2nd site and a group of Knights from the Topeka Council came to Salina and conducted a 1st, 2nd and 3rd degrees to 52 charter members.
The first officers of Council 601 were W.R. Kaffer, Mike Shanahan, L.J. Supple, J.J. Hinnenkamp, E. J. Kaffer, Lew Johannes, John Lill, J.R. Geis, Thomas Quin, T.A. Williams, A.T. Wolsieffer, D.D. McAuliff, William Wessling, Anthony Madden and John O'Shea. Rev. R.F. Leary was Chaplain.
In less than 7 years, Salina Council 601 became the "mother" council to the following cities councils; Hutchinson, Wichita, Junction City, Beloit, Concordia, Herington, St.Marys, Chapman, Solomon and Hays Kansas.